ogo Design Process and Walkthrough for eco contractors. Project was to create a new logo family design for a company. Here's my design process and a walkthrough of how the final logo was created.
Eco contractors are contracting company for all thing s construction, a made up company for this process. The new logo needs to focus on the environmental aspect of this business.
After some time researching, coming up with the name and working through a Mood Sheet, I fleshed out some thoughts on the style of the logo and what values would be presented through it.
I started by sketching out my ideas for the logo. My main focus for the graphic of the logo was to display icons in a creative way that could be seen as a standalone, but also recognizable as part of the whole under closer inspection.
After conducting more research, it occurred to me that the leaf is a widely recognized symbol of environment, so I concentrated on drawing up images incorporating leaves. The two styles that stood out were the ones that used one of these symbols along with eco in front of each category, all of which represented the same message but in different visual styles.
The first class presentation/critique, we discussed the three pages of sketches to see if I was working in the right direction. We narrowed the sketches down to two different design concepts.
The two logo sketches were then drawn up in Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw and Adobe Photoshop and experiments were conducted on the appropriate font styles. I chose "kabel bk bt" for the modern feeling idea and "Arno Pro Smbd" for the second design. They have a nice relationship to each other and would work great both in print and on the web.
During the second class presentation/critique we went over the two computer-generated design families. These designs were shown in black and white so we could focus on the balance, feel and strength. The more modern looking concept was chosen with a small modification.
After the revision of the logos, color was added. The idea for the color of the logo was to reinforce the environmental feel. My color choices were Pantone 374, similar to fluorescent green, and Pantone 151, similar to construction orange.
The logo graphic, color and type were then combined; the five logo graphics fit quite well into the natural shape of the main logo layout. The final logos were then developed into a few secondary variations such as being reversed out of a dark background, and reproduced using a single color for use in specific circumstances. This rendered the project complete, the logo files were zipped, burned on to a cd and placed into the sleeve of the presentation book.
Overall a highly enjoyable project, it has been a great learning experience, working on a project that has so many working parts.